Saturday, September 30, 2006

New job, week 3

Wow, I can hardly believe that it's been three weeks already at the new job!  Next week, we officially begin the big project that I was hired to do.  We'll see how well that goes since our SharePoint Server 2007 still hasn't been set up yet because of some security problems that even Microsoft seems to have trouble figuring out.

If you ask me, SharePoint is a major pain in the ass.  It took a week and two virtual machines to finally get one single standalone instance up and running for testing.  Throw in another week fighting with the InfoPath Forms Services that was built on top of SharePoint, and that's where I am now.  Now that I've been persistent (or just lucky?) enough to be the only person with a working development environment, I've brought my laptop home with me this weekend for more research and testing.

Andrea wants to try and keep Kaylee (who woke up coughing up a storm this morning) over at her friend's place this weekend, but I'm not holding my breath.  That would be nice so that I can actually play around with SharePoint and InfoPath some more today and then spend some time with a dear friend tomorrow.

Regardless, it's nice to be getting paid what I'm really worth now, and it doesn't sound like they're planning on cancelling our project anytime soon so I'm definitely going to be employed for a while.  Despite the frustrations of the software, it's been a great three weeks and I'm loving the positive work environment.  I have no regrets on my decision to make this career change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home