Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Shine On You Crazy Diamond

I woke up this morning, and something inside me said, "It's a Pink Floyd day." I had no idea why, but it just felt like one. The only album I could take to work was my SACD version of The Dark Side of the Moon, so that accompanied me this morning and I listen to it's haunting melody as I write this entry. I even saw the new DVD release of Pulse on the shelf at Wal-Mart this morning, and had I more cash on hand, I would have picked up a copy. It wasn't until I arrived at work and mentioned to a coworker how it felt like it was a Pink Floyd day, that I learned that one of the founding members of the band, Syd Barrett, passed away recently. A spokeswoman for the band released the news this morning to the media, but did not disclose the cause of death. Despite living out his last years in relative seclusion, Barrett was a major influence in many people's lives, including his former bandmates who wrote a tribute album to him entitled Wish You Were Here. Farewell and keep shining on from the next world, Syd... shine on from the gates of dawn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home