Saturday, August 13, 2005

Surround sound audio and annoying bill collectors

*sigh* I love my home theater system.

Yesterday I picked up a copy of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon on SACD, Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral on DualDisc, and Staind's Chapter V on regular CD. They are all fantastic albums from three totally different parts of the music spectrum. I'm mostly irritated that there was no DualDisc version of the new Staind album... it was listed online everywhere before the release, but apparently pulled close to the release date. I'm hoping that they do eventually release it or a DVD-A version because I'm sure Staind in 5.1 surround sound is just amazing (as if in stereo is amazing enough already for this album).

As for Trent Reznor's masterpiece, I still can't believe that it is now over 10 years old and still has such great appeal. Hearing it in 5.1 is like listening to the album again for the very first time because it sounds like they took a lot of time and effort to effectively use all of the speakers, unlike other surround sound albums I've heard (Disturbed's Believe--an awesome album, but not much better than a CD run through Dolby ProLogic II). The sound clarity and subtle details in the experience really come alive with the extra speakers on this album and I'm so glad that I picked it up.

And Pink Floyd? Who hasn't heard of them, who doesn't like them? It's great chillout music, only in beautifully remastered digital surround sound. Thank you, Pink Floyd, for the many decades of influential music. 'Nuff said.

And the annoying bill collector mentioned in my title? He may as well have been being kicked repeatedly in the nuts by me, as he was nothing more than a limp dick by the end of the call. He calls this morning just after 8AM looking for Andrea, so I told him that she wasn't available at this number but I would take a message. I recognized the name and voice from the answering machine messages he leaves every day. Here's how it went:

    Me: "Ah, the guy who's harassing my babysitter. I'd really appreciate it if you wouldn't do that."
    Him: "That's not what my notes say."
    Me: "I'm not responsible for the inaccuracy of your notes."--basically calling him a liar, only not to his face--"Anyway, Andrea doesn't live here anymore, but I'll let her know you called."
    Him: "Why didn't the babysitter tell me that??" He probably still doesn't believe anything we've told him, despite it being the truth.
    Me: "She's under no obligation to disclose any information to anyone."
    Him: "Okay, well, do you have a number I can reach Andrea at?"
    Me: "I don't have a number I can reach her at right now"--the honest truth, she wasn't answering her cell phone--"but I'll let her know you called again. You can't reach her here because she doesn't live here anymore. We've been separated for a while now." Again, the honest truth, but he probably gets this kind of excuse all the time.
    Him: "Tell me this then, how long have you guys been apart?" What, you think you'll catch me lying when I'm really telling the truth??
    Me: "Oh, since about... how long was it? January. I live apart from her. I have the kids. She comes by in the evening, visits with the kids, and leaves. If I have anything to tell her or if she needs to tell me something, that's when it happens. She doesn't live here anymore and I don't have a number I can give you to reach her." The complete truth. Besides, I can't give out her number without permission, as if she would answer anyway.
    Him: "Uh...." Limp. Dick.
    Me: "I'll tell her you called next time I see her. I would really appreciate it if you would stop calling and stop harassing the babysitter because you can't reach her here."
    Him: "Again, that's not what my notes indicate."
    Me: "And I'm still not responsible for the records you recorded being inaccurate." Another kick to the nuts.
    Him: "Well..." He verifies the address on file.
    Me: "That's her address, this is my phone number, they are not the same place."
    Him: "Alright, we'll notify her at that address as well. I would appreciate it if you did pass on that message to her. Thank you." Didn't I already say that I would?

Stupid collectors. I feel bad for him though, because of the nine months I worked at Chase in credit card collections... I heard all of the excuses and it's really hard to determine which ones are genuine and which ones are full of crap. Regardless, I hope this is the last time I hear from him. It's not my problem. I think I'll go listen to The Downward Sprial again now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home