Friday, August 04, 2006

All good things come to an end...

Telling myself that anything could last forever would be a lie. Nothing is eternal, not even the universe itself. It's a good thing when something bad or unpleasant is over, but when a truly good thing ends, it is usually met with tears, sorrow, and an emptiness or feeling of loss.

Such was the case for the last remaining employees in my department this week. I'm sure we all knew the day would soon arrive when the pendulum would cease its swinging and our positions within the company would be severed, much like the chaff gets separated from the grains during harvesting and discarded. Our usefulness has passed and the days are finitely numbered now. Some have already moved on to other positions or are on the cusp of departure as we speak, and the rest of us are seemingly lost. Very few of our dying voices have yet spoken of their new plans in the wake of this week's revelation, perhaps some await the responses of others before acting, or perhaps there are still some of us left who will tough it out until the end of days?

It truly pains me to see the final passing of our company to the new management up north and seeing our jobs slowly being spread like seeds to the winds of the world from India, to Argentina, to who knows where else in the future. I accepted a position within the company three days before the Thanksgiving holiday nearly three years ago, found through a temp agency and cautioned by the recruiter that the job would likely last through January or--if I were lucky enough--February. Fortune has filled my life since then as the temporary 3rd-shift position turned into full-time work with the company including benefits and I have had the pleasure of meeting so many wonderful and diverse people since that cold and fateful night on which I started. Many opportunities have blossomed and much useful experience has been gained, and for that I am grateful. But that still doesn't take away from the loss I feel as I slowly see friends, acquaintances, and coworkers leave, and know that soon I must do the same.

They say that all good things must come to an end. I can definitely feel the winds of change blowing, fierce and strong. Where they will take me, I do not know. For now, I must place my spare energy into strengthening my skills and watch the winds for the right chance to let go and sail onwards.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home