Friday, August 11, 2006

The outpatient surgery

I am not a morning person. When the doctor's office told me that Kaylee needed to be at the hospital by 5:30am, I groaned. If it weren't for her own well-being, I would have protested and pushed it back some, especially knowing how much difficulty I have getting Kaylee up in the morning too.

The time at the hospital flew by fairly quickly as we were ushered from one room to the next to get everything squared away before the 7am surgery. A nurse here and a doctor there, a few comforting words from the anesthesiologist, a pair of trips to the potty, then finally the time came and the nurses took her away with a sad look on her face as I waved goodbye to her.

Apparently the procedure she underwent, called myringotomy, is a very common procedure performed on children to drain built-up fluids in the ear. The doctor returned a few minutes later to inform me that all went as planned and gave me instructions on using the ear drops over the next few days. Shortly thereafter, she was dressed and the release paperwork was signed. At 7:45am, I carried my grumpy little girl out the front door and drove back home.

Aside from the cotton balls in her ears, she doesn't seem to have any problems or side effects. Just to be on the safe side, I'm staying home with her today and will keep an eye on her. A stack of stickers from the nurse and some breakfast in her tummy, and she's back to normal again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home